Frosty Spring morning

Frosty Spring morning

Sunday 9 September 2012

How much more could we want



How much more could we want

In May of this year I visited Kenya. I was lucky enough to visit a Masai village. The women own and build their houses. Sure they are composed of twigs and cow dung, and the three rooms are dark and smoky. They are thrilled with their issue of mosquito nets- a government initiative that I read is significantly cutting down deaths and instances of malaria.

Kids go to school for part of the day. They study a basic curriculum including English, and are very thankful to Australians for the aid that has allowed this program to strengthen.  A Masai warrior tells me that they have not done well with educating women and that this is a priority they have to turn their efforts to.

Their diet is cow - milk, blood and meat. I ask over and over- what about vegetables- but I am assured they are not part of the diet.

One of the men I speak to has a university education. Not particularly useful in the village he says, but it allows him to go off to work and earn for the community. They are a proud people determined to maintain their culture and seemingly content with  life. 

Meanwhile back home, I am being bombarded with things I need.

There’s permeate free milk – what is that?  I appear to  have been drinking non permeate free milk all my life with no obvious side effects. Mind you, I have tried at times to focus on my third eye.

When I passed menopause I thought I was out of the reach of the feminine hygiene product market. But oh no - they have found something else I need: snug little pads for LBS. That’s leaking bladder syndrome. Apparently I can expect that to develop some time soon. 

I obviously need a better education system because Gonski says we have  to strengthen and reform Australia’s schooling system. Mind you, I, my daughters and my granddaughter have all had perfectly good education under different Australian schooling systems, regimes and philosophies for over 60years.

Gina Rinehart thinks I need to give up drinking and smoking (I did the latter light years ago) and work for less than $2 a day because then she can have even more of the things she wants. 

What I want is for her to come and dig in my backyard for $2 a day so I could have even more vegetables planted for summer.  She could even help spread some mulch.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This Week's Art Work

Here's one for Gina...If I take your advice and give up drinking do I have to give up drawing anything to do with it as well?

 
Pen, ink and acrylic wash on paper. 560x760 cm

2 comments:

  1. Too true! I would contribute an extra $1 to Gina's hourly wage to see her spread mulch in your garden...

    Love the picture, too - it looks great online :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the art work and oh how I would love to see Gina working in your garden for $2 a day - I would even pay her a bonus of an extra $2 just to do so - why not put it out there -

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment