Frosty Spring morning

Frosty Spring morning

Tuesday 15 October 2013

'Estatic' about 'Backed' egg tarts



I have frequently espoused the value of life-long learning, so here are some thoughts on a few little treasures gleaned over the past weekend.

 Let’s start with the Canberra Times:

I’ve discovered that Gina Rinehart is the biggest victim in the current law case being waged with her children. To quote: she had been so selfless that she could not retire or pour her billions into philanthropy. Oh that I was such a victim!

The Danish royals have had a bit of coverage as well and Saturday’s edition  cited: In a recent survey Danish people emerged as the happiest in the world. What is their secret? ‘a secure life’, said the princess,’ and a well developed social system: not many people fall through the net.

A bit of thought and learning there for the Tea party and its associated mad hatters I think

When anyone next suggests I am overweight I will endeavour to confuse them by saying it is my embonpoint. Perhaps they will think I have some dreaded disease and slink away to eat another lettuce leaf. I on the other hand will know it is my Rubanesque physique that is in question thanks to the weekend article on The rise of the brassiere.

In my attempt to find a synonym for some obscure cryptic crossword clue I can across phubbing- the habit of snubbing someone in favour of a mobile phone. The interesting bit of that was that I discovered the word had been coined on behalf of Macquarie Dictionary of Australia to promote a new edition and had been circulated through social media to see how long it took to be used in general.

My granddaughter is learning to drive And I’m learning a lot of stuff about roads and road use that I had either forgotten or never knew – like a blue reflector on the road indicates a fire-hydrant  nearby. All I now have to remember is to carry my fire hose with me whenever I am out and about and I will be ready for action. 

And there are some things you learn that just continue to cause despair:


  •  I know that locally we have a version of Chinese cooking that could hardly be called authentic, but Backed egg tarts – really? Get it right Canberra Times.
  • When did Guarantee become guaranty?  Answer: on the banner behind a well known pots and pans brand’s stall at Floriade. Spare me please.
  • I’m wondering if estacy is some form of diluted euphoria. If I believe the real insurance lady I will be estatic about what their life cover can deliver for me. Did no-one actually listen to the actor delivering the lines and pick up what she was saying?

Don’t get me started on nuclear.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Art Work of the week
You can see this hanging at the Tuggeranong Art Gallery at the Capital Chemist 2013 Art Awards.

Vapour Trails. Acrylic on canvas

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment