Frosty Spring morning

Frosty Spring morning

Sunday 30 December 2012

Come on 2013



It’s New Year’s Eve. 

Here we are on the verge of new beginnings, grand expectations, resolutions to do better, achieve to our potential, balance one’s life, lose weight, run a marathon, eat healthily, be kinder,  be more caring, think before we act, climb Everest and achieve world peace. This is a time of grand and glorious promise. See out the old year and triumphantly toast the new. Fun and celebration, that’s how it’s sold.

For me, it has often been something of a disaster. 

I offer as examples:
·           An unbelievable summer storm that trapped me inside the house while I painted away and a waterfall of rain sheeted from the eaves.
·           Being party trapped for hours with a depressive young man some twenty years my junior who I have no doubt had been stalking the young woman over whom he was threatening to do himself in.
·           Camped out in the great outdoors in my new tent, its flaps opened to catch the evening breeze after 35degree heat, and the storm coming in around midnight and flooding everything, trapping me wet and drenched inside.
·           No end of unsuccessful parties where people flitted in and out and on to the next venue while I as a good guest/host was trapped in situ dressed in my best fancy costume.

There’s a theme developing here.

OK, I concede none of these are really disasters of the large scale kind like the tornado that killed three in Cincinnati on New Year’s Eve 2012, The New York Mining Disaster 1941 (was that even real?), nor potential Near Year’s Eve style disasters that the internet is providing tips on avoiding.   

I’m speaking more disaster in the sense of events falling well below expectations – tragedy - failure.

Don’t get me wrong, there have been some fun times. Usually with friends, food and a few bubbles, and once with sparklers and a pair of runners.

 But in general, I’ve decided this is one time of the year when the hype never lives up to the reality. Bring on Easter - at least it has chocolate.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Art Work of the Week 
Here is the picture I was painting on the New Year's Eve mentioned above.
You Devil You. Acrylic on board 500x700mm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment