Frosty Spring morning

Frosty Spring morning

Wednesday 1 January 2014

The Bony Rabbit



I’ve been a bit of a slacker in the blogging department of late. What with finalising a research project, completing enough Fans of Idle Hands products to take to the holiday markets, and the lead up to the festive season, all thoughts of writing have fizzled into the dust. If only my indignation had likewise!

At the end of 2013 I had still not been polled. Despite my constant bewildered and befuddle state, the world refuses to change and the bony rabbit blithely appears on television saying nothing more than that he is winding back to the Good Ole Howard era and how everything that has occurred in the last six years or so will be reviewed, dismantled, stomped on, revised or chucked into the nether reaches of a Mad Max movie. 

I have not become endeared to the Liberal regime as it rolls out its activity of deconstruction and am surprised that I can find no one who openly admits to having voted for this melange of wedding and sporting event attendees. 

What I do wonder is what has to happen for a general incensing of the Australian public – I don’t mean the incensing  that used to waft out of thuribles in Catholic services – that, incidentally, probably eroded the hairs of my nose so it is now sensitive to every bit of pollen that appears in the air. No, I mean the mass disgust and displeasure that led to a Russian Revolution or the overthrow of Napoleon. OK, that’s probably a bit extreme, but you get the picture.

I figured that if the US could survive Bushe’s squared and other right wing conservative movers and shakers, that Australia could probably limp through until the next election when someone, somewhere, will recognise that we need a leader with vision, guts, social conscience and integrity. I don’t care what their politics!

But I’m beginning to doubt our chances of surviving relatively unscathed:

  • Marine parks dissolved (not quite literally just yet) and the door open for reef mining,
  • Agreed science questioned (‘What is this climate change thingy of which you speak?’)
  • Women backfooted, (Virginal white dresses, Julie Bishop and Sophie Mirabella…need I say more!
  • Gonsky gonskied (Just what is our policy today Christopher?)
  • The Disability Insurance Scheme at risk (I hear of the large number of people who applied in Canberra from the association of the blind, only one person was granted the benefit – if this is true, when did blindness move off the disability list?)
  • $6 tokenistic medical tax for visits to doctors and emergency departments (Hmmm… public policy about get active, undertake preventative medical practices, work harder and longer = more visits to the DR= ‘over servicing’= tokenistic medical tax???   Again I ask, where is the understanding of equal and opposite consequences  laws of physics?) Just an aside, my suggestion is put a hefty tax on absolutely elective cosmetic surgeries – I read that Australians paid over $665 million on these services last year.
  • Shut down of information so that there is no transparency of government.
  • And, of course, pissing off our allies by eavesdropping on their families and pilloring the ABC for reporting the scandal..
I’m beginning  to wonder what our democracy will look like when we at last put the rabbit brained schemes behind us and awaken from our politically induced coma

Happy New year everyone! 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ART WORK OF THE WEEK
All creative energies have been temporarily suspended having exhausted them in pre-christmas tea cosy mode and in food prep for the celebratory season's functions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment